At some point in your life, you probably have heard about the importance of developing a budget. But, why is a budget so important?
Perhaps you simply spend what you must and save whatever’s left over. Or, perhaps you spend all you have and borrow or charge anything else that you need. In either case, given the limits of your income, you may have wondered,
“What good would it do to have a budget?”
Whether you have substantial resources or live close to your means, a budget can serve as an effective foundation for a savings program. It may be one of the best tools to help you control your personal and household expenses, thereby freeing up income that you can redirect toward savings.
How a Budget Can Help Your Savings
How does a budget help you accomplish this? Consider the following six points:
1. Putting your actual expenses down on paper may reveal several areas of misuse of your financial resources.
2. Once you see where your money is going, a budget can help you conserve your financial resources or spend them more wisely.
3. A budget can help you to anticipate financial problems that could arise from your present spending habits, thus allowing you to remedy the situation before you are faced with additional difficulties.
4. A budget can help you recognize the need for an alternative course of action to achieve your financial goals.
5. A budget can motivate you to adhere to a savings plan.
6. Finally, a budget can help you evaluate your progress toward meeting your long-range financial objectives.
Whether you dream of higher education for a child, an early retirement, or a special family vacation, a budget can help boost your savings and bring your dreams closer to reality.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual. All performance referenced is historical and is no guarantee of future results. All indices are unmanaged and may not be invested into directly. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing.
This article was prepared by Financial Media Exchange, LLC. All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, LPL Financial makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
Securities and advisory services offered through LPL Financial, a registered investment advisor, Member FINRA/SIPC. GENESIS Wealth Management LLC is not a registered Broker/Dealer and is not affiliated with LPL Financial.